Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K drone is not new in the market. But for some reason, not many people have had the chance to try this drone. Well, I have, and I can tell you for a fact, it’s one of the best drones you can get at a reliable price.
Xiaomi Mi 4K Drone quadcopter is flying off the shelves for several reasons. Apart from the 4K quality shots, Mi Drone 4K boasts an excellent stabilization system, 5GHz band support, a high-resolution video support processor, and a cleanly done sleek design. Add several autonomous fly features included, and you are ready to capture the beauty of the earth on a whole new level, literally.
Let’s get to know more about this drone below.
Xiaomi Corporation ranked the third-largest smartphone global seller in the last quarter of 2020. Under its founder Lei Jun, Xiaomi has ventured beyond smartphones to other lifestyle and household electronics, with accompanying software and internet services.
Xiaomi is famous for quality products at a relatively low price. You may relate if you have used or seen their high-end smartphones. But if you haven’t, fret not because I am about to introduce to you a top drone from Xiaomi that plays in the “big-boys” drones’ league but cheaper than its other brands’ equivalents.
Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K Review:
Type: Outdoor Quadcopter
Model: Mi Drone 4K
Communication Features: Brushless Version, Radio Control, Wi-Fi APP Control, Wi-Fi FPV
Motor Type: Brushless Motor
Functions: Camera, Fail-safe, Forward/backward, FPV, Hover, Low-voltage Protection, One Key Automatic Return, One Key Landing, One Key Taking Off, Tap to Fly, Turn left/right, Up/down, Waypoints
Satellite System: GLONASS, GPS
Sensor: Optical Flow, Sonar
Built-in Gyro: 6 Axis Gyro
Material: Carbon Fiber, Electronic Components, PC
Kit Types: RTF
FPV Distance: 4kilometers
Model Power: Built-in rechargeable battery
Battery: 15.2V 5100mAh LiPo
Flying Time: About 27mins
Charging Time: About 3.5
Video Resolution: 4K UHD
Drone weight: 1400g, 3.1lbs
Package Weight: 4.5800 kg
Product size: 14.96 x 17.91 x 6.69 inches
Package size: 15.35 x 18.11 x 7.09 inches
What Is In The Box?
- 1x Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K
- 1x RC controller
- 1x Camera
- 1x Battery
- 1x USB cable
- 2x Manuals
- 8x Propellers
- 1x Wall charger
- A set of anti-collision shield
- Screwdriver and thumb screws
Parts And Accessories
- Mi Drone 4K
- 5 in 1 charger
- Propeller set
- Replacement motors
- Fimi handheld gimbal
- Mi Drone 4K backpack
- Wi-Fi dongle
4k vs. 1080p HD Mi Drone Models:
While the Xiaomi Mi 4K and Xiaomi Mi 1080p HD models have similar body designs and innovative features, there are notable differences in hardware and image quality.
Xiaomi Mi 4K:
The 4K model uses a white and gold color palette, and the props are easy to assemble and disassemble. Further, the 4K model features a 12.1 Sony backlit sensor coupled with a 6-piece glass lens, blue glass filter lens, and 2-piece aspherical glass lens that deliver 4K in 3840×2160 quality shots.
You also can shoot RAW still photos for easy post-shoot editing. Other unique features are the dual IMU compass, an Ambarella Sports Image processor, and an extended range of up to 4 kilometers thanks to TDMA HD FPV Technology.
Xiaomi Mi 1080p HD:
On the other hand, the 1080p HD has a white and orange color palette, and the props need some work to disassemble. You get a single IMU compass and a shorter signal range. The model has a wide-angle view HD camera with a 16MP Sony backlit sensor.
The 6-piece multi-coated lens added ensures you get 1080/60p quality shots, but you won’t be getting any RAW shots with it. Both feature a 3-axis gimbal to stabilize the camera for smooth images with a real-time 720p downlink to your smartphone.
Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K Unique Selling Points:
- Easy and stable flight even for beginners
- Added security features such as Signal Loss Failsafe, GPS real-time tracking, and Low Power Failsafe
- Automatically no-fly zone detection
- Shoots 4K/30fps videos on a 12MP Sony sensor camera while transmitting live at 720p even at a distance of 2 kilometers.
- The 3-axis gimbal stabilizer is extremely sensitive to compensate for up to 2000 vibrations per second, with a ± 0.02° accuracy.
- Integrates anti-interference system and Low Latency technology
- Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K lifts at a speed of 6m/s, flies at a max speed of 18m/s, and reaches a height of 500 meters.
- Simple to fly
- Smooth 4K movie
- Intelligent Flight Modes
- Fantastic flight time
- Extended transmission range
- Easy assembly and disassembly
- Best for wide-angle images
- Camera zoom without distorting the picture
- The battery and RC takes a long to recharge.
- Some users have complained of complicated app settings
- The propellers make unusual whizzing sound, and they may need some firming
Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K’s Build And Design:
Except for the etched ‘Mi” logo, the Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K closely resembles a miniature design of the Phantom 4 Pro.
All the detachable components feature easy lock mechanisms for quick assembling and dissembling. Technically, you will only need the included screwdriver to screw the anti-collision shield.
The white-colored plastic body feels sturdy to the touch, with the golden finishes completing the sleek design nicely.
The white and gold color mix gives Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K a classy look. Four propellers fit perfectly to the motors in the ends of the cross-shaped arms, with the silver and red colored caps complementing the overall look.
The propellers’ quick-release mechanism allows for assembling or disassembling without any tools.
When not in flight, the Mi Drone 4K rests on the foldable landing skids high above the ground to protect the below-hanging 4K camera.
The skids are adjustable, and their design ensures they support the drone and reduce impact while landing. You do not worry while flying in low lights as four navigation lights keep the Mi Drone 4K visible.
The professionally build and designed Mi Drone 4K show superb craftsmanship, with the hull having carbon fiber alloy reinforcement for added structural strength.
The 3-axis stabilizing gimbal ensures you take smooth shots irrespective of the wind and vibrations.
Mi Drone 4K’s Performance And Usability:
For its price, the Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K flight time of up to 27 minutes is very impressive. The included stability features, sensors, and numerous satellites enable this drone to compete with pricey brands satisfactorily.
To start, the Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K is super easy to fly. The RC rocker and the app are user-friendly for easy take-off, landing, and control.
The GPS and GLONASS features ensure exceptional drone flight accuracy even in raging conditions. The drone always comes back to the start point while in autonomous mode.
Apart from the numerous autonomous modes, the Mi Drone 4K has other impressive capabilities such as the point of interest, follow me mode, and active tracking.
You can have the drone fly to a specific location, circle around an object, or follow your car by simply setting a flight route on the app.
For novices, there is a beginner mode to use before getting to the pro level. There is a limit, though, to max height (50 meters) and flight distance (100 meters) to ensure you don’t crash-destroy the drone in a day.
The drone automatically activates the return home feature and other self-flight modes like automatic landing if the battery runs low or the communication signal is lost.
You can activate any of these modes at will by pressing the dedicated buttons on the RC or a simple tap on the app.
Mi Drone 4K’s Smart Battery:
Yeah, the charge level indicator makes the Mi Drone 4K’s battery smart. You will quickly tell the charge level of this massive 5100mAh capacity battery even when not in use.
Though you need 3.5 hours to get to a full charge, the max of 27 minutes on a flight will be a reward enough. And an extra battery or two will keep the fun going on for longer. There is a multi-battery charger available to charge several batteries simultaneously.
Mi Drone 4K’s Software:
Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K is software-dependent, with most of the drone and camera settings and controls done via the app. The software is available on Apple and Android app stores.
Once you download the app while setting the drone for the first time, a prompt update to the latest version appears almost immediately.
Please be patient as the update can take up to twenty minutes. Once done, follow the assembling and initial setup procedure to prepare the drone for the first flight.
The app allows you to better control the drone, with functionalities like route setting, drone location views, drone and camera status, flight mode settings, flight details like altitude, speed, and distance, ATTI mode for manual flights, among others.
The provided USB cable connects the smartphone to the RC, while the drone connects to the smartphone through Wi-Fi.
Mi Drone 4K Remote Controller:
If you have used Xbox, then you will easily relate to the Mi Drone 4K remote controller. They share almost similar shapes, but the functionalities and features are different. The RC has the following control features:
- The left roller controls up/ down and the angle movements of the drone (elevation and left/right turn about itself)
- The right roller moves the drone forward/backward and slides it left/right
- There is a power and a button to activate automatic landing and take-offs on the upper side of the RC
- There is a battery status indicator for the RC and a support ring for a neck strap
- Above the support ring is a button to activate the return home feature
- The wheel on the left corner tilts the camera from 0 to -900, while the one on the right corner is programmable to control the drone’s LED intensity or the camera’s exposure value.
- The smartphone support ramp extends from the front top of the RC
- The left button on the RC starts or stops a video recording, while the right one is for photo shooting. Please note you can use the two buttons simultaneously.
Mi Drone 4K’s Setup And First Flight:
Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K is among the simplest drones to assemble right out of the box. The only things that need screwing are the anti-collision shields.
Once you have the RC and drone batteries fully charged, get all the components in a spacious working area. Turn the drone upside down carefully, and open up the landing skids.
Locate the camera slot and insert the camera carefully. Please ensure the camera locks into place firmly.
Install the propellers by twisting and turning as the drawn arrows show. Please test the firmness of the propellers well before initiating any take-offs.
Then, screw the collision protectors if you need them. Insert the battery and power it on. You just finished assembling the drone!
Let’s turn to the RC and your phone now. Turn on the RC by pressing the power button twice.
Once it beeps to signify successful power-up, extend the phone support and clip your phone into position.
Connect your smartphone to the RC via a USB cable or Wi-Fi tethering.
Download and run the Mi Drone 4K app, follow prompts on the app to connect the drone to the RC. When the connection is successful, you will see the position of the drone on the app.
You are ready for your first flight on Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K.
Please note that the Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K takes two minutes from power up to ready to fly status. There are tons of pre-flight checks, GPS signal location, warming batteries, compass alignment, and much more.
And you have no option but to wait and hence power the drone early in case of time-sensitive shoots.
Is Mi Drone 4K Worth It?
Absolutely. Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K offers top-of-the-range features found in top-tier drones but at almost half the price. Although Xiaomi advises against use by children, the drone is easy to set up and use even for newbies.
The added safety features, beginner’s mode, and autonomous flight options make this drone fit for use by kids, novices, and adults.
I wouldn’t advise you to get it as your first drone as there are other cheaper beginner drones. Besides, who would wish to crash a couple of a hundred dollar drone on the first day?
Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K fits professionals and hobbyists who wouldn’t afford the pricey DJI Mavic Pro 2 or Phantom 4 Pro but want to add some flavor to their filming and photography.
Pro And Safety Tips
- Check with your state laws and local regulations regarding drones before getting to the skies. You don’t want fines for exceeding flight distance and altitudes or flying in restricted areas.
- To keep the drone and other things in the environment safe, fly in open areas away from people, trees, animals, and buildings. Open areas will have better GPS signal that is essential for location and flight routing.
- Keep away from drone-restricted areas like airports and highways.
- To be able to figure out your drone direction quickly, make sure it flies face facing forward.
- To maintain maximum signal communication, face the antenna of the remote control to the drone.
- In emergency instances, press power and take off the key simultaneously to crash-land the drone.
- Sometimes when you try to take off crowded places or between buildings, you may get a GPS or compass error-related message; clear the take-off error by rotating the quadcopter.
You won’t go wrong with the Xiaomi Mi Drone 4k. The fundamentals are impressive, from excellent flight duration, 4K shooting capability, FPV, and added intelligent features worth every dollar.
I highly recommend the Mi Drone 4K to anybody who needs a powerful drone at a good price.