Estimated reading time: 15 minutes
Whether you’re a dedicated drone enthusiast or a professional aerial photographer or drone flyer thinking of getting a high-quality drone for both fun and work usage, you can find the best top 5 drones for your needs over a $1000.
You might be thinking, what kind of specs will I find in a camera drone over $1000? Well, that’s precisely what I’m here to tell you.
A high-quality drone over $1000 can provide you incredible features including a decent flight range, battery timing, high-res camera for stills and video capture, and amazing software support, which is why it’s the perfect price to get a drone if you’re venturing into professional drone photography.
In this article, I’m going to talk about what you should look for in a Drone over $1000, how you can buy them, as well as the top 5 best drones over $1000.
So, make sure you read this article till the end before you make a buying decision.
What to Look For in a Drone Over $1000?
If you’re thinking of buying a drone over $1000, you must be thinking, what should I look for in terms of specs and features in it?
Well, there are a few major specs and features that every high-quality drone above $1000 must have. Let’s take a look at these necessary features and things to consider.
- High-res Camera – Finding a camera drone that offers FHD 1080 and even 2K, 4K, and 6K options in terms of max-resolution along with a high-quality camera sensor is the ideal choice with the budget of over $1000.
- Good Battery Timing – The ideal camera drone worth over $1000 is only the one that offers professional level of flight time per charge. This amount of time could be anywhere between 20 minutes to 30 minutes or even more in some cases.
- Epic Range – One of the most important factors when it comes to aerial photography and videography is the flight range of a drone. Make sure the flight range of a drone is quite long if you’re spending over $1000 on it.
- Speed – Professional drones that cost more than $1000 require better speed settings and control that you need in order to take perfect stills and great video shots, so keep speed in mind too when you’re getting a drone.
- Flight Modes – Another very important factor that you need to make sure your drone has are various flight modes. Autonomous flight modes like headless mode, follow-me, GPS tracking, among others are the common ones seen in this price ranged drones.
Top 5 Best Drones over $1000:
So, you’ve got a good budget for your very own professional photography and videography drone but you’re not sure which one to get?
Well, no need to worry because I’ve made a list of the best drones above $1000 in the market right now.
Let’s take a look at these drones, their specs, features, pros and cons, and everything in between.
|Drones||Flight Range||Flight time||Camera||Resolution||Price|
|DJI Mavic 2 Pro||11 miles||31 minutes||20MP||4K||$1599|
|DJI Phantom 4 Pro||4.3 miles||30 minutes||20MP||4K||$1899|
|Skydio 2||2 miles||23 minutes||45MP||4K HDR||$1349|
|Yuneec Typhoon H Plus||1.5 miles||20 minutes||20MP||4K||$2499|
|Autel EVO II Pro||5.59 miles||40 minutes||20MP||6K||$2099|
1. DJI Mavic 2 Pro: Buy Now
One of DJI’s best offerings in terms of high-quality build, amazing design, superb-quality resolution, perfect capturing ability, and amazing zoom camera is the Mavic 2 Pro. It is the perfect successor to the Mavic drone.
The price is fairly decent if you factor in the value of the Fly More Kit that comes with it in the bundle but is a bit more expensive than the Mavic 2 Zoom but it obviously comes with a better camera and overall upgrade.
Let’s delve into the features and specs of this drone.
- Camera Sensor and Resolution – This incredible drone uses a high-quality 1” 20 megapixel CMOS sensor and comes with a 4K HD resolution recordability that allows you to take stunning shots and make beautiful videos.
- Flight Time – One of the best features of the Mavic 2 Pro is incredible 31-minute max charge flying time with which you can record a great amount of aerial content according to your liking.
- Max Speed – With the max speed of 44 miles per hour, the DJI Mavic 2 Pro gives you the ability to fly your drone fast and still be able to record perfectly stable videos and shots.
- 3-axis gimbal – The Camera is protected and stabilized by the 3-axis gimbal that comes with the Mavic 2 Pro, so you won’t have to worry about distortion or stabilization problems with this drone.
- Flight Modes – This drone comes with omnidirectional obstacle sensor, active track 2.0, and an array of integrated flight modes and functions you can use for taking beautiful stills and recording amazing videos.
- Internal Storage – The Mavic 2 Pro comes with 8 GBs of internal storage for keeping your clips and stills saved and an extendable 128 GB capability which is amazing.
- Fly More Kit Add-ons – If you get the Fly More Kit with the Mavic 2 Pro, you’ll receive 2x intelligent flight batteries, 2 low noise propeller sets, charging hub, and shoulder bag for the drone.
- Light-weight Takeoff – The drone is very light-weight at the time of takeoff, around only 907grams which makes the control and flight quite easy for beginners even.
- Controller Smartphone Requirement – One thing I didn’t quite like about this drone was the smartphone requirement under the controller for the display.
- Hyperlapse is 1080p limited – Hyperlapse feature is amazing but it is only limited to 1080p which is quite a bummer since this drone performs best at 4K resolution.
Overall, the DJI Mavic 2 Pro is a pretty amazing drone. It is expensive but the camera, resolution, and stability is surely worth it.
If you like this drone, spending a good amount of money on it will be absolutely a great decision for you.
2. DJI Phantom 4 Pro: Buy Now
DJI is known as the proud manufacturer of tons of incredible drones and FPV technology. Their Phantom series of drones has been incredibly successful, especially since the release of the Phantom 4 Pro.
This stunning drone is beautifully designed, durable, stable, and capable of recording stunning visuals and capturing beautiful stills perfect for professional photography, but for a significantly higher price than $1000.
Let’s delve into the specs and features of this drone to show you how amazing it really is.
- Flight Speed – This drone is equipped with a couple of flight speeds with base speed being 31 miles per hour and sports mode allowing to take the max speed up to 45 miles per hour which is pretty impressive for a drone.
- Battery Timing – The battery timing of the DJI Phantom 4 Pro is also pretty impressive around 30 minutes per charge which lets you fly around and take stunning shots for quite a long time.
- Camera and Resolution – This drone uses a 1 inch 20 MP CMOS Sensor and can record high-quality videos and take stunning stills and pictures at 4K HD resolution.
- FPS – Phantom 4 Pro video processors support H.264 4K videos at 60 frames per second and at H.265 you can shoot 4K videos with 30 frames per second capability which is quite amazing with a 100Mbps bitrate.
- Stability – The drone uses a high-quality 3-axis gimbal to support the camera which allows you to shoot and record content without having to worry about distortion or stabilization concerns.
- Decent Remote Controller – The remote controller comes with a 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz connectivity option and it is quite decently designed and visually appealing as well.
- Cool Autonomous modes – Phantom 4 Pro features a lot of amazing autonomous flight modes including Return to Home, Follow Me, Headless mode, among a variety of others.
- Durability – The drone itself is quite durable which makes it a bit heavy as well, but it can take a few bumps, however, you should only use it if you’re a professional.
- 5 directional obstruction sensor – When it comes to object sensing, the Phantom 4 Pro has a 5 directional obstruction sensor which makes sure all obstacle avoidance are covered.
- Expensive Price – One thing that I’m not the biggest fan of, is the price of this drone. In comparison to other drones, it is more expensive which can be an issue if you’re on a tight budget.
- Smartphone requirement – The remote controller doesn’t come with a pre-installed or integrated LED screen and you’re going to have to use your smartphone for that with the controller.
The DJI Phantom 4 Pro is quite an amazing drone overall. It comes with a bundle of features and great design as well so you can take stunning shots and look good while doing it. So, if price isn’t a concern for you, getting this drone is a must.
3. Skydio 2
Skydio has established themselves as a premier drone manufacturing company since their arrival in 2014. Both their recently released Skydio X2 and Skydio 2 drones has been pretty amazing.
But the star of the show is surely the Autonomous Skydio 2. It is stunning looking with amazing camera capturing capabilities along with superb controls and features you’d want to have.
Here are some of the major features of this drone you’ll love:
- Flight Time – The Skydio 2 comes with a flight time of 23 minutes which is just enough for recording amazing aerial content for your videos and documentaries.
- Autonomous Flight – This drone is designed as a completely autonomous drone. You can create a proper track and it will follow the track as per the mapping. It also features a bunch of autonomous flight modes for users who prefer to manually fly the drone.
- 256 NVIDIA Cores – With the help of 256 integrated NVIDIA processing cores, the Skydio 2’s AI is able to track and process instructions at a rapidly fast pace.
- Camera and Resolution – This drone comes with a 45MP sensor and allows you to take stunning shots at 12MP HDR along with a recording capability of 4K 60fps HDR resolution.
- Stunning Visual Design – The Skydio 2 is a beautiful looking drone with LED indicators helping in late night flying and compact structure along with 6 camera sensors for obstacle avoidance.
- Flight Speed – This drone comes with an autonomous speed of around 36 miles per hour which is super impressive as the drone requires no manual control on its path at all.
- Three ways to control – You can use the Skydio Beacon, smartphone, or the Skydio remote controller to fly your drone around and choose whichever is the easiest and most suitable option for you.
- Quiet Drone – The Skydio 2 is 50% quieter than other drones in the market mid-flight which is great because you hear less noise over the video recordings.
- Easy Autonomous Setup – Easy drag and drop controls allow you to reposition your drone in the map and create a path for it to move over for autonomous recordings.
- Lesser Flight Range – The flight range the Skydio 2 is only 3.7 kilometers which is actually not that much for normal camera drones so that’s a bummer.
- Not crash-land proof – This drone is quite durable and the autonomous features make sure that it won’t crash but if you’re not careful, it can crash-land which isn’t ideal for this drone.
The Skydio 2 is ultimately a compact, small form-factor, and decent looking drone that has incredibly advanced autonomous functions and many features to play around with.
The price is also decent, and you can get it if you’re interested in it for sure.
4. Yuneec Typhoon H Plus: Buy Now
One of the biggest companies in the drone industry is Yuneec. Their Typhoon series is arguably one of the most popular and well-loved by drone hobbyists and professionals.
The Typhoon H Pro is their high-ranged stunning hexacopter that is known for its beautiful shooting capabilities and amazing feature set. And the price is also less than the more expensive entries in this list.
Let’s take a look at the major features of this hexacopter drone.
- Retractable Landing Gear – The frame of this drone is quite huge so with the help of the retractable landing gear, you can easily control the drone mid-flight.
- Intel Realsense – With the help of Intel Realsense obstacle avoidance technology, the drone can sense objects and obstacles near it at low speeds and avoid them while flying.
- 4K Camera – The Yuneec Typhoon H Pro is an amazing drone which comes with 1 inch CMOS 20MP camera and allows you to capture videos at 4K resolution.
- Amazing ST16 Remote Controller – The ST16 remote controller is one of the best controllers in the market equipped with smooth toggles and 7 inch 720P LED screen for viewing the feed while recording it.
- Flight time and range – The flight time of this drone is not up to par with only 20-21 minutes and the range is also below average with around 1.5 miles max transmission.
- RAW and JPG Image Capture – The Yuneec Typhoon H Pro uses amazing image processing and even offers RAW and JPG image capture which is pretty great.
- Live 720P Stream – With the LED screen of the ST16 you can view live footage of the drone camera at 720P which is great if you want to record perfect footage for your video content.
- Hexacopter Design – The hexacopter design of drone allows it to remain stable and easily controllable which isn’t something you see in other drones in the market.
- Amazing software – The ST16 offers amazing software support that makes drone flying and image and video capture much easier than other proprietary softwares.
- Small Battery Life – The battery life aka the flight time of the Yuneec Typhoon H Pro is pretty small in comparison to most of the other entries on this list.
- Low-speed Obstacle Avoidance – Intel Realsense obstacle avoidance only works at low speeds otherwise you can face errors and crashes if you try to use it.
Overall, the Typhoon H Pro drone by Yuneec is an amazing 4K hexacopter drone in my opinion. There are a few shortcomings but in terms of features, you have a lot to cherish.
If you’ve got your eyes set on this drone and you have a decent budget to spare for this hexacopter, then I’d highly suggest that you get it because you definitely will have a great time with this 4K capable drone.
5. Autel Robotics EVO II Pro: Buy Now
Autel Robotics have come to the fray fairly recently and have made a huge impact with their EVO series. So much so, that their EVO II Pro is considered one of the best current drones above $1000 right now.
The drone is compact, decently designed, foldable, comes with amazing camera capturing capabilities and stunning remote controller. The price is expensive but good in terms of overall value in my opinion.
Here are some of the best features this drone possesses:
- Flight Range – The flight range of this incredible drone allows you to record videos and take stunning clicks without losing transmission even at distances over 5.5 miles far away.
- Battery Timing – The battery timing of Autel Robotics EVO II Pro is also worth appreciating with over 5000mAH battery and a flight time of stable 40 minutes of flight.
- Camera and Resolution – The 1 inch sensor of the EVO II Pro allows beautiful image capture and stunning videography with a max resolution of 6K or 5472 x 3076 pixels.
- Interchangeable Payloads – If you’re thinking of going 8K with this drone or even thermal 8K according to your aerial videography requirements, you can change the payload as you please on this drone.
- EVO II Pro Remote Controller – The EVO II Pro controller is ergonomically designed to be held comfortably as you use it with a bunch of features and a durable overall design.
- Flight Speed – In comparison to many other drones in the market, the flight speed of the Autel Robotics 6K EVO II Pro drone allows you to fly it at 45 miles per hour max speed.
- Foldable Design – The EVO II Pro is already a compact-designed drone but it is also foldable which makes it practically easily portable and you can take it wherever you want.
- Remote Controller Battery – The battery of the remote controller for the EVO II Pro is also quite amazing and offers 4 hours of uninterrupted control support which is great.
- 3.3 Inch OLED Screen – The remote controller comes with a stunning 3.3 inch OLED screen that you can watch the live feed of your Autel Robotics EVO II Pro drone on.
- Expensive – If you compare the price of this drone with some of the others on this list, it is quite expensive even though the features make the value of the drone quite decent.
- Oversharpened Video Profile – The sharpness of the video footage as default is quite a lot and could be a little off if you’re a careful observer of footage.
Without a doubt, the Autel Robotics EVO II Pro drone is a great choice for everyone. It is a sleek, compact, yet powerful drone that offers a lot for its expensive price tag. So, if I were you, I’d surely want to buy it.
Professional Camera drones over a $1000 have a lot to offer. From high-res cameras, to multiple flight modes, and tons of benefits in between, getting one can be great for your personal hobby or professional needs.
Finding a drone with amazing features like obstacle avoidance, HD recordability, camera stabilization, and design could be difficult for the average drone enthusiast but that’s what the drones in the above list consist of.
In the aforementioned list, there are a lot of cool and exciting drone choices that you can look through to find the perfect one for yourself.
So, make sure you get the drone you need and have an incredibly amazing drone flying experience!