Estimated reading time: 11 minutes
While waterproof drones can fly in rain, snow, and underwater, they are equipped with a wide range of sensors to navigate difficult, hostile environments.
And we even have advanced waterproof drones that can fly, land on water, and even dive underwater.
The best waterproof drones match the cost, quality, and performance of journalists, athletes, or videographers who will use them in weather-resistant environments. Good examples include SwellPro SlashDrone 4, PowerVision PowerEggX, NEHEM NH525, Parrot Hydrofoil drone, and SwellPro Spry+.
The top waterproof Drones are built for durability and longevity with:
- Ruggedized alloys and materials
- Corrosion resistance coatings
- Shockproof electronic parts
- Advanced AI capabilities (intelligent cameras), and
- Modular building blocks such as rechargeable batteries.
Having tested over 20 waterproof drones on the market, here are my top five waterproof drones for 2022 and beyond.
Table of contents
- Top 5 Waterproof Drones for 2022:
- 1. Best Overall: The SwellPro SplashDrone 4:
- 2. Best Performance: PowerVision PowerEgg X:
- 3. Best Budget: NEHEME NH525 Foldable Drone:
- 4. Best Design: Parrot Hydrofoil MiniDrone:
- 5. Best Value: SwellPro Spry+ Waterproof Drone:
- Final Word:
Top 5 Waterproof Drones for 2022:
1. Best Overall: The SwellPro SplashDrone 4:
SplashDrone 4 is the best waterproof drone. The tough fuselage is made from industrial-grade ABS, and it doesn’t matter if it gets wet.
The motors and electronics are coated with a corrosion-resistant coating for extra added protection.
Other distinguishing features of the SlashDrone 4 include:
IP66 Waterproof Remote Controller:
The SwellPro SplashDrone 4’s remote controller is waterproof, making it worry-free for all-seasons operation.
The built-in GPS ensures that the drone flies back after taking off and offers features like tracking in real-time on a map.
5KM Image Transmission:
With 5.8 GHz antennas and a digital image transmitter, the SplashDrone 4 has a 5km range while the drone is flying.
IP67 Seawater Proof Body:
SplashDrone 4 has extreme waterproofing technology, and each drone is multiply sealed before being put through rigorous tests. This ensures that you’ll get a 100% waterproof guarantee with SplashDrone 4.
SDfly App Support:
The SDfly App lets you mount your camera on a water-proof monitor via Wi-Fi. So it can be used underwater in any orientation or position of the drone and truly capture those breathtaking scenes.
The app will also stabilize the footage so that there are no start/stop motions from the movement of waves, tides, or strong winds. And thus, the SplashDrone 4 is the perfect fishing drone.
GC2-S Night Vision Camera:
The SplashDrone 4’s camera comes with 2-night vision LEDs placed side by side. This greatly increases the color and blackness of deepwater while recording video or taking pictures, even at midnight.
And this can help find fish despite bad visibility due to overcast sky conditions.
Additionally, the SplashDrone 4 has a thermal camera.
The camera’s infrared lights help find underwater objects, and thermal imaging helps pick them up in low-light conditions, even at night or in direct sunlight.
Pros and Cons of the SplashDrone 4:
- Useful, efficient, and practical
- Rugged construction to last a lifetime in any condition.
- Very easy to fly.
- Limited control range at the expense of better accuracy.
- The camera is not for the top-tier photographer.
2. Best Performance: PowerVision PowerEgg X:
The PowerEgg X is a high-performance waterproof drone suited for high-quality imagery photography.
Some of the drone’s features include:
Autonomous Camera with Facial Recognition Capabilities:
The PowerEgg X’s camera is equipped with a dual-core processor to process images and flight controls. It is designed for reliability and efficiency. Its camera has sensors that can make the best use of light.
The PowerEgg X also can operate autonomously to find its target object under any circumstances as if it were at home. Its facial recognition capabilities help track moving objects in midwater using sonar imaging technology.
Intelligent App Editing:
The PowerEgg X’s intelligent app allows users to see the drone’s 4K video and photos on their smartphone device.
With just one click, it allows you to upload all of your shots instantly uploaded directly onto Dropbox files or external storage devices such as SD cards or USB drives.
Hand-held Gimbal Camera Mode:
The PowerEgg X is more than just a drone; it has a motorized gimbal stabilizing camera to capture events at a moment’s notice.
In use, you will always get the best footage of an event or activity free from any vibrations, thanks to a controlled gimbal that can capture high-quality photos and video.
The PowerEgg X’s camera uses hyperplanes to capture various angles of an event or activity with lightning speed.
It can shoot high-definition photos and video in super-fast time while staying true to your target space.
3.5 Hours Battery Life:
The PowerEgg X’s battery life is three and a half hours, more than enough to capture any adventure you want. It can do all of this while never running out of juice!
Pros & Cons of the PowerEgg X Waterproof Drone:
- Lightweight design suitable for indoor flying.
- Long flight time: up to 30 minutes is plenty long enough to capture all your desired shots, including videos.
- Slightly more expensive than other drones.
- Motorized gimbals may make it difficult for a beginner user to fly long distances. This is because of the inability to control the drone properly at certain times without crashing into objects around you.
3. Best Budget: NEHEME NH525 Foldable Drone:
The Nehem NH525 Foldable Drone was made for beginners and veterans in the game. It has a lightweight design, ideal for indoor flying.
Some of the unique features of the NEHEME NH525 Foldable Drone include:
45° Adjustable 720P HD Camera:
A 720P HD camera is installed on the NEHEME NH525, allowing you to capture clear shots. And the lens is 45°, meaning the area can be obstructed, and you will still have a birds-eye view of your activities.
22 Minutes Flight Time:
The Nehem NH525 gives you 22 minutes of flight time per charge, which is enough for most people. It flies safely and quietly, making it ideal for capturing great video footage indoors or outdoors.
Foldable Design and Great Rift:
This drone is designed to be folded into a small size, making it easy to pack and transport with you. You will also find the initial set-up user-friendly, as the instruction manual provides accurate information on using this drone.
Up to 100 m Control Distance:
And this control distance is strong enough for you to experience the most optimum flying conditions. And with a 360-degree flight system, there is no more having to worry about what side you are flying on both.
Pros & Cons of the NEHEME NH525 Waterproof Drone:
- The NEHEME NH525 has a lot of exciting video capabilities that you will find quite impressive. The camera can capture clear, stable pictures and videos at 720P with virtually no noise whatsoever.
- This drone is also simple to use. The instruction manual provides clear and easy instructions on setting it up. So as long as you follow them closely, you should have no problems whatsoever using the functionality this drone provides.
- Unlike many other quadcopter models used in the industry today, this model has a 360-degree flight system.
- This drone model is not only tough and sturdy, but it also comes with similar drawbacks that are common to other quadcopters. For instance, the range you can fly this drone is relatively short. This makes it difficult to achieve a smooth flight with higher speeds and ground-based flying.
4. Best Design: Parrot Hydrofoil MiniDrone:
The Hydrofoil is an innovative hybrid. It cruises across fresh water and enters aerial propulsion mode when crossing saltwater.
This way, it can cruise over 6.2 mph, balancing just 5-6cm above the water. It is balanced with hydrodynamic foils and can move with incredible talent and agility when it takes flight over water.
Other unique features of the Parrot Hydrofoil MiniDrone include:
9 Minutes Flight Time:
Although relatively lower than most drone flight times, nine minutes is not too bad. With this drone, you can keep your remote controls in one hand and fly with two propellers working separately without worrying about running out of battery power too soon.
However, the flight time is largely impacted by the camera that you attach to the drone.
20 Meters Flight Range:
Most drones have a 15 to 30-meter range, and the Parrot Hydrofoil MiniDrone goes up to 20 meters.
However, in testing the range performance of these devices, I found that it performs better under optimal flying conditions than on average cell phone systems over longer distances.
6.2 m/h Top Speed:
The Parrot Hydrofoil MiniDrone has a 6.2 m/h top speed with the time you’ve invested into flying skills and practice before attempting to fly it.
Likewise, in perfect conditions, this Parrot is best suited for those who want a do-it-yourself first drone flight experience and adventures at their sole discretion.
Hydrodynamic foils (blades) working as fluid lift surfaces move the Parrot Hydrofoil MiniDrone into flight mode. This drone has been built incorporating stability, unparalleled maneuverability, and accuracy.
Through these technologies simple elements in its design, like legs or propellers, are turned into sleek, large-scale engineering.
This drone looks to be a stable flight without any issues. It features a hydrodynamic hull consisting of a laminar flow channel inside the pocket-like or pseudopod shape external shape seen in hydrofoils and water skis.
Aquatic and Flight Modes:
The Parrot Hydrofoil MiniDrone can fly and walk on water exactly like any other drone, and each has worked well.
The flight will be quite sluggish, but considering the hydrofoil shape of this design needs to ensure a stable hovering in work hydrodynamic control mode.
Pros & Cons of the Parrot Hydrofoil MiniDrone:
- Has extra propellers
- Wide-angle videos and flicks that work with the direct drive system
- Easily removable propellers for customization in fun-flying mode and the other way around!
- Short battery life
- Cameras must be purchased separately, not purchased together.
5. Best Value: SwellPro Spry+ Waterproof Drone:
Unlike other aerial filming drones, the Spry+ by SwellPro is completely waterproof and can fly on any surface.
With the Spry+, you can take a drone and water sport simultaneously. Though small, it has better quality than other drones, making it a good fit for you, from the 12 MP resolution and 4K/30FPS camera.
Other features of the SweePro Spry+ waterproof drone include:
18 m/s Maximum Speed:
The Spry+ is one of the fastest drones I can offer in a waterproof drone. The automatic flight control system will avoid any obstacles found on your path on land.
And for safety reasons and quality protection, even when you’re with it underwater up to 24 meters deep.
Large Battery: 3600mAh:
With a large 3600mAh internal battery, no worry about having any power shortage. When you need it most, the Spry+ can fire up to 240 minutes on an included 6S LiPo (12V 3600mAh) Battery in just 15mins.
200 m Maximum Height:
The Spry+ is an amazing drone as it can fly at a maximum altitude of 200 meters. The Spry+ will have you enjoy it without interruption to keep this distance.
800 m Flight Range:
The Spry+ has an amazing flight range of 800 meters, so don’t worry about losing direct control.
Pros & Cons of the SwellPro Spry+ Waterproof Drone:
- Has maximized light transmission delivering rich colors and sharp images.
- A racing speed level that can constantly maintain a maximum speed of 18m/s.
- Glide-like stability anywhere you desire.
- This drone has a reduced flight time.
- Relatively expensive than other drones on the market.
Waterproof drone development will continue to grow, leading to the broader application sector. Waterproof drones could become the mainstay of a country’s drone fleet in newsgathering and transport and improved features and functions surveying.
Therefore, before buying any waterproof drone, always check the flight range, flight height, battery life, and the top speed to get the most value for your money.